Coronavirus Victoria: what you need to know about Melbourne’s stage 3 lockdown | Australia news

A record high of 191 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday has prompted the Victorian premier, Daniel Andrews, to reintroduce stage three restrictions across all of metropolitan Melbourne.

“I think a sense of complacency has crept into us as we let our frustrations get the better of us,” Andrews said. “I think that each of us know someone who has not been following the rules as well as they should have.

“I think each of us know that we’ve got no choice but to take these very, very difficult steps.”

While many of the rules are the same as the stage three lockdown that was imposed in March, there are some differences too. Here are some the main things you need to know.

When does the lockdown start?

The restrictions will be introduced from 11.59pm on Wednesday, 8 July 2020 and they will last for six weeks.

When can I leave my house?

As during the previous stage three lockdown, the four reasons to leave the house are: shopping for food and essential items, care and caregiving, daily exercise, work and study. But if you can work or study from home, you must.

Is my municipality included?

The full list of municipalities are at the bottom of this story. But the main point is that all local government areas within metropolitan Melbourne will be affected, as well as Mitchell Shire, which is north of the city. Rules will stay the same in regional areas.

Can I have visitors to my house? Can I see my partner?

You cannot have visitors or go to another person’s house unless it is for the purpose of giving or receiving care. You can leave your house to visit a person if you are in an “intimate personal relationship” with them. That is, there is no “bonk ban”.

Do I have to stay in Melbourne?

The stay-at-home rules apply to your main place of residence so you will not be able to get out of Melbourne and stay in your holiday house. The government says this is to stop the virus being spread to other parts of the state.

Can I still dine in at a restaurant or cafe?

No. Restaurants and cafes will only be able to trade as takeaway and delivery businesses.

Will the shops be open?

Shopping centres, markets and other retailers will be allowed to trade but subject to density rules limited by people per square metre. Strictly speaking, you will only be allowed to go to the shops to buy food and essential items.

What about other businesses and services?

Pubs, bars and nightclubs will be closed and bottle shops will be takeaway only. Beauty services will be closed, but hairdressers can stay open.

Entertainment and cultural venues such as music venues, museums, indoor and outdoor cinemas, and the casino will be shut. Brothels and strip clubs will also shut. Libraries and community venues can only stay open for essential services, or to host weddings and funerals.

Real estate inspections will be by appointment only and auctions will be conducted remotely.

What are the rules for exercise?

Exercise is still a permitted reason to leave your house. But you will not be allowed to leave metropolitan Melbourne to exercise, meaning long bush walks or leaving Melbourne to go fishing or surfing are no longer permitted.

Swimming pools, playgrounds and gyms will be shut, and community sport will also stop. Sports like golf, tennis and boating can continue, but again, you cannot leave Melbourne to do them.

What is happening with schools?

Year 11 and 12 students will return to school as planned, as will students in special schools. All other students will get an extra week of school holidays.

What happens to weddings, funerals or religious services?

Religious services will need to be broadcast online. Weddings will be able to include five people (couple, two witnesses and the celebrant) while the limit will be for 10 people at funerals (not including those conducting the service).

Holiday accomodation and camping venues will need to close. Travel within Victoria is allowed only for work and education, and only if necessary.

What if I break the rules?

Andrews said on Tuesday police would monitor traffic seeking to leave metropolitan Melbourne and officers would also enforce the restrictions within the city. Victoria police can issue on-the-spot fines of up to $1,652 for individuals and up to $9,913 to businesses.

Full list of municipalities: Banyule, Hume, Moreland, Bayside, Kingston, Mornington Peninsula, Boroondara, Knox, Nillumbik, Brimbank, Manningham, Port Phillip, Cardinia, Maribyrnong Stonnington, Casey, Maroondah, Whitehorse, Darebin, Melbourne, Whittlesea, Frankston, Melton, Wyndham, Glen Eira, Monash, Yarra, Greater Dandenong, Moonee Valley, Yarra Ranges, Hobsons Bay, Mitchell Shire.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *