NSW and Vic border closure announced as Covid-19 cases continue to rise and Melbourne’s ‘hard’ lockdown of public housing towers continues. Follow the latest news
• Premiers and PM decide to close border
• Follow the global live blog here
• Victoria sends 500 police to contain virus in public housing high-rises
• Everything we know about Victoria’s ‘hard lockdowns’
• Find all our coverage of the ‘hard lockdown’ in Melbourne
• Sign up for Guardian Australia’s coronavirus email
• Download the free Guardian app to get the most important news notifications
Daniel Andrews finishes on this:
Just in conclusion – can I again say I am so grateful to all of those who are making enormous sacrifices, those who are on the front-line of our fight against this virus.
We’ll continue to support you, and we – all of us who aren’t living in locked down postcodes, all of us should not only be sending our best wishes, but following the rules in order to thank those who are in much more restricted circumstances than the rest of our state.
There have been no reports of anyone living inside the locked down towers refusing a Covid-19 test.
As far as I know, those who have been asked for a test have been part of program.
That will ramp right up today, and we’ll be able to provide you probably a more detailed report tomorrow. I just don’t think there’s any reason for people not to consent to a test in those towers.