Carbon monoxide poisoning: 11 people taken to Hobart hospital after charcoal grill used indoors | Hobart


Five children and two adults were in a serious condition with carbon monoxide poisoning on Tuesday after an open charcoal grill was used inside a Hobart home.

In all, 11 people were rushed to Royal Hobart Hospital with poisoning after paramedics were called to South Hobart about 2.30am.

The health condition of four other children was being monitored.

The children ranged in age from two months to 17 years, the state’s health department said.

Tasmania Fire Service station officer Adam Doran said a high reading of carbon monoxide was recorded in the downstairs area of the two-storey house, where the grill was being used.

“[It was] up over 200 parts per million, which does get into that dangerous situation where you can get nausea, vomiting and shortness of breath,” he told ABC Radio.

“It was starting to get to a point where it would have been highly toxic and dangerous for the occupants.”

Carbon monoxide gas, which is created by burning any fuel, including gas, oil, coal or wood, has no odour or colour but can be fatal.

“It’s not easy for people to recognise when this might be happening to them,” Doran said. “If you’ve got a cooker that’s designed for outside, then it must only be used outside.”

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, dizziness, fainting, shortness of breath and confusion.

The state’s health department warns against using outdoor barbecues, charcoal grills and heat-bead stoves indoors or in enclosed spaces like caravans and boat cabins.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *